Monday, July 7, 2014

Motivational Monday - Don't Rush Love

Have you ever looked at someone and known right away that you were meant to be together? I know that sounds really corny but I believe that love at first sight is a real thing. Maybe you don't know you're in love yet, but you have a certain feeling deep inside your tummy that tells you this person is special. 

 I get so mad when I'm scrolling through my Facebook feed and I see a post similar to this:
"Love my baby! Together Forever - Happy 2 week anniversary baby!" 

Puke. 

Like really? It's been 2 weeks and you love this person? And of course, inevitably, a week later they break up. You can't rush love. 

From the moment I met Briam I knew he was special. But I didn't love him. Or at least I didn't know I loved him. But I knew I wanted to be around him, talk to him, spend time with him. And that was kind of overwhelming for me, considering that we met when I was 11. Why was this guy so cool? Why did I want to befriend him so badly? Well I'm glad I did though.

Between 11 and 17, I had many crushes and a few boyfriends but they never felt permanent. Of course they didn't, I was a kid. But they didn't even feel fun. They felt like obligations to the teenage life, a right of passage if you will. You have to remember though, Briam is 6 years older than me. So there was no way anything could happen. I think that was meant to be for a reason. I got a chance to know him for 6 years before he and I decided that we liked each other enough as friends to be in a relationship with each other. It was such a natural transition, that nothing really changed, except our titles. We were now boyfriend and girlfriend.

motivational monday, motivation, love, don't rush love, forever, relationship, relationship advice, advice, love, marriage, engagement,

So here we are. 6 1/2 years later, still boyfriend and girlfriend. I always ask him when we're going to get engaged or married. He just laughs at me and says when he can afford the giant ring that I want. Once a princess, always a princess. But I'm okay with this. I don't want to rush into a marriage unless it feels as natural as it did during the first transition. And sometimes you just have to go with the flow of life. I don't want to get married and then move away for 2 years while I get my master's degree. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe that works for others, but not for us. 

The point is, if you feel like you need a partner in your life, then you're not ready for one. When you are 100% yourself then someone will come along and things will happen naturally. If you're out there searching the bars and nightclubs, the dating websites, or wherever else you find people, then you'll most likely end up with the wrong person. If you want your first marriage to be your only marriage, it's worth the wait.

Don't rush it. It'll happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS