Wednesday, July 30, 2014

How To: Avoid The Freshman 15

This post is mainly about me giving you the tips I wish I had known in college. I fell victim to the freshman 15. And then the sophomore 15. And then the junior 15. And then the senior 15. Over my course in undergrad I ended up gaining around 100lbs. So that's more like 25lbs a year. Ridiculous, I know. But that's what I want to help you avoid. All of the things I wish I had known when I was a freshman, and a whole lot slimmer!  

Before College vs. After College
freshman 15, avoiding the freshman 15, college, school, education, health, fitness, health and fitness, college health, college fitness, before and after, fresh 15,


1. Get a meal plan 
When I went for orientation, we had to eat at the various places on campus that were included in the meal plan. And I really wish I would've gotten one. Every cafeteria or restaurant, not really sure what to call it, had a fresh salad bar, and other healthy food options. They all had vegetarian options and had a suitable balance between healthy food and pizza and french fries. When you have a meal plan, you're less likely to eat out at fast food restaurants which could really save you in the end.  

2. Utilize the fitness center
It's a full service gym and fitness center! And it's included in your tuition! Use it. At FSU they had personal trainers that would develop workout plans with and for you. There were so many group exercise classes that you could join if you didn't want to workout alone. I loved the spin class! Kicked my butt, by man was it hard core! Do your research and you'll find so many ways to stay fit! Take a dance class for the semester, join a running group, or just go to the gym. I know that at the school I'm attend for my MBA there is a running group and an outdoor, heated swimming pool to use year round. 

3. Drink a lot of water
You hear this all the time. Just being healthy in general, you should always drink water. The recommended amount is 64oz per day. You can always get yourself a filtered water jug, fill up your cute water bottle that's reusable, and take it with you all day on campus. Refill your bottle when you stop for lunch! And when you work out, drink it up! Staying hydrated will help you maintain your weight, avoid illness, and have amazing skin! 

4. Eat healthy snacks 
Keeping healthy snacks in your dorm room is essential. There are so many healthy options at the grocery store nowadays that it's quite easy! Granola bars, yogurt, fruit cups, and so much more. Below I have 2 recipes for you that are cheap and easy to make. The first is frozen yogurt dots and then a frozen fruit cup. Bring the yogurt dots with you to the library and snack on the fruit while you hang out in your room!

Frozen Yogurt Dots: Shutterbean Recipe
freshman 15, avoiding the freshman 15, college, school, education, health, fitness, health and fitness, college health, college fitness, before and after, fresh 15,

5. Always eat breakfast
For real though. Don't skip breakfast. Have an 8am class? Eat fresh fruit. Or granola. Or a fruit cup. Have time for a real meal? Grab a veggie filled omelet, or a fruit and veggie smoothie! There are tons of healthy options for breakfast. You mainly want them to keep you full and keep you from over snacking! High protein and fiber breakfasts are the best. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and you want to keep your mind strong and sharp for class! Especially during exam time!

How do you fight the freshman 15? 

18 comments:

  1. Struggled with weight gain the last two years after increased stress/motivation to do well in grad school! I am definitely trying to adopt some of these tips now, such as the meal plan!

    I actually just wrote about my struggle with weight gain and seeing a nutritionist to help get me back on track.

    http://www.erikadoeslife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutritionists are awesome! I spoke to one towards the end of my undergrad and she helped me start seeing food a little more rationally!

      Delete
  2. Thanks girl! Good luck in college! If you need any support along the way, I'm here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so helpful! Last year was my junior year and it was tricky because my best friend lived on campus and I was a commuter so since I didn't have a meal plan, we ate out everyday. Definitely regret it! Love the tips!

    - Alaska Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! Commuting can be tough! I remember it was so easy to just go to Taco Bell on my way home, but I so wish I would've gotten a meal plan!

      Delete
  4. Take the stairs WHENEVER possible. My dorm room was always above the ground level so I'd practice being a master of the stairs after breakfast, before my first class, after lunch and at the end of the day (sometimes turning it into a workout by carrying my laundry up and down a few flights). Turning your little lifestyle habits into workouts makes it fun and less of a project when you need feel like you need to make time for a trip to the gym!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good tip Vanessa! Making use of everyday things can really make a huge difference!

      Delete
  5. Such good tips! This would be an awesome post to link up with the Destination College: A Blog Hop tomorrow on my blog! I'm always looking for ways to keep healthy and in shape in college!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all great ideas. I didn't have problems with my weight until I had my children. And I can say having a plan helps! http://shandagtv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very practical advice. People don't realise how quickly bad habits will catch up on them in college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Sometimes practical is the best way to go!

      Delete
  8. I was definitely a victim of weight gain in college, as well. I now try to walk to class (instead of taking the bus) and use the stairs. But like you said, exercise and healthy eating is best. I've recently started Blogilates and it's great!

    ♥Emma, of It's Emma Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I love Blogilates! Cassey is so fun and entertaining to watch! She makes exercising less of a chore!

      Delete
  9. I definitely struggled with weight my freshman year too, and I was in marching band (terrible, I know)! I would have loved to have these tips! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are such great tips! Keeping my weight stable was definitely a challenge freshman year, but the hard work is completely worth it! :)

    xo Emily
    Class and Sass

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS